Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Adoption

“For He foreordained us (destined us, planned in love for us) to be adopted (revealed) as His own children through Jesus Christ, in accordance with the purpose of His will [because it pleased Him and was His kind intent] – [So that we might be] to the praise and the commendation of His glorious grace (favor and mercy), which He so freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.” ~ Ephesians 1:13 (Amplified)

As you know, we just adopted an adult dog from some folks who were moving and couldn't take him with them. Now and again, he has a hard time and starts wondering where his previous masters are. He's probably wondering what he did wrong and how long we intend to keep him. He seeks me out constantly and is still a bit nervous when I leave the room, still not sure of the new situation. I wish I could speak dog right about now, I would explain to him that adoption means we selected him to become one of our own – for keeps. I've always been a sucker for the cast away. The person or animal that has unfortunately believed the lie that they're of no value – because I've been there myself. This has made me ponder my own spiritual adoption.

I don't remember the exact day when I received the Lord Jesus Christ to reign in my heart, as I was very young; but I have had many unfortunate escapades away from my walk with the Lord. It is so sad how after a hardship, hurt or sin I easily hid myself from God, believing that I was worthless, unwanted. God has a beautiful way (if one opens their eyes) of showing His people His great love is for them, no matter what the failures, fears or sins are. The important thing is to rest in the confidence of my holy adoption instead of falsehoods and fears.

I'm not sure how long it will take Tyson, our Rottweiler to settle in with us and be at peace, but we will be here, patiently waiting with him to do so. He's learning our cues, rules and expectations, just as we are learning his. I can't wait for the day when he finally sees us as his masters, Mama, Daddy and kiddos. When he sees us as safety, security and the origin of his being loved. “For [the Spirit which] you have now received [is] not a Spirit of slavery to put you once more into bondage to fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption [the Spirit producing sonship] in [the bliss of] which we cry Abba (Father)! Father!” ~ Romans 8:15 If you don't get up and dance at that thought, something's wrong with you, honey! Yet, do we see our selves as kings and priests? As royalty? Think of who you are now, child! This took a long time for me to grasp myself, but you are a child of the most High GOD!! What does that make you? As a child of such standing, where do you belong? Consider this, because it is extremely important. Where do you belong? How do you see yourself? Now compare it to what the scripture says about you. "But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a dedicated nation, [God's] own purchased, special people, that you may set forth the wonderful deeds and display the virtues and perfections of Him Who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light." Think of your Holy Adoption this week, honey. Contemplate the difference between who you think you are (and what the world may tell you you are) and who God Almighty says you are.

Let me end with this personal story of mine: Quite some time ago, I was literally wrestling with God over... none of your business, that's what. :) I finally asked Him "I don't know what you want this old heart for; its dirty, ugly, probably rotten, and there's cobwebs that would scare goblins!" God spoke to me in a way that really shook me. He said "Because I PAID for it." His tone was loving but extremely firm (nearly knocked me off me over), and I can only bow down in the dust and thank my Heavenly Father for desiring this old heart. I am no longer fighting. I am humbled, but extremely thankful. You see, He personally reminded me of the great price He paid for me; little me. Despite what I thought of my self, God thought much much more. He did pay for it, therefore how could I not freely give it?

2 comments:

  1. AMEN! Adopting our girls has continued to make this truth and miracle sink in. What an awesome God we have!

    Hope your day is blessed!

    Lisa
    www.mycuprunnethover.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's some GOOD preachin'! And so true... :)

    Shelly

    ReplyDelete